HARRIS COMMUNITY SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION 2016
Proudly supported by Sydney Fish Market
Ultimo Public School YEAR 6 students
Harris Community Scholarship
Ultimo Public School
Dear Year 6 Parents/Carers,
Year 6 students have the opportunity to apply for the Harris Community Scholarship, which assists with the cost of secondary and tertiary education.
This scholarship was established in 1990 by a group of local residents and businesses. Since 2014, Sydney Fish Market has generously assisted with the financial and operational support for the scholarship. One scholarship is awarded each year to a student in Year 6 proceeding to secondary education. Key considerations in the selection process are outstanding qualities demonstrated by a student who:
- works cooperatively with other students, school groups and teachers
- participates in sport, technology, environmental, creative and/or leadership activities
- contributes to the cultural life of the school and their local community
- does their best to achieve well in all their studies
Students submit a short written application showing how they demonstrate the Key Values promoted by the school and supported by additional information about their achievements.
From these applications, the School Principal and Year 6 teachers will prepare a shortlist of students to be interviewed. This will be done in consultation with panel members from the Harris Community Scholarship Fund. The selection panel consists of the President of the Harris Community Scholarship Fund (HCSF) and one or two members of the HCSF Committee representing local business and community organisations.
The successful student receives $250 per year for Years 7 – 8, $300 per year for years 9-10 and then $500 per year in Years 11 and 12. If the student chooses to undertake tertiary studies (Vocational Education or University) they are able to apply for additional support of $550 for three years of their tertiary studies. Each scholarship recipient remains in close contact with the Scholarship committee throughout his/her secondary schooling/tertiary studies and submits school/University/TAFE reports each semester. To find out more go to http://harrisscholarship.com.au/
Completing the Application form
Students are to use their own words to answer the questions on page 4 and provide supporting information, which should include copies only of:
- Year 6 Mid-Year School Report and Year 5 NAPLAN results
- Certificates awarded for (Please provide only photocopies of your Awards)
- major school activities (e.g. Band, Choir, Sport)
- outside school activities (e.g. Sport, Language School, Piano, Dance, etc)
Please do not provide originals. A selection of Certificates/Awards is all that is required, not all of them.
Presentation of the application
Students should pay particular attention to the presentation of their application.
Please ensure students include:
- a title page (complete Page 4 of this information package and attach a current school photo) which includes their name, address, phone number, mobile number, email address Also complete the parent or guardian name and email and phone number.
- Answer the five questions on Page 4 of this information package–students can type or handwrite their answers and attach this to their application.
- Provide supporting Evidence -certificates, reports, letters, websites, photos.
- Students must write their name on each page of the application and number the pages.
before 3:00 pm on Friday 25th November 2016
Thank you and I hope you will encourage your child or guardian to apply for the Harris Community Scholarship Fund.
Cathy Horan, President and Public Officer HCSF
Harris Community Scholarship Application Form
For Year 6 students at Ultimo Public School
Please attach this page to the front page of your application
Your email address:
Parent or Guardian name
Please attach a current school photo
Please answer the following questions
- What are your favourite subjects at school and why?
- What activities or projects have you been involved with at school over the past two years?
- How have you been able to help other students and your teachers at school?
- How have you engaged with your local community or a particular recreational or social group outside of school?
- What are you looking forward to at High School?
You can write or type as much as you like, but make sure you answer each question. It must be in your own words.
Please provide supporting information such as copies of your:
- Year 6 Mid-Year School Report
- Certificates awarded for Major school activities (e.g. Band, Choir, Sport, Library Monitor, etc) and Outside school activities (e.g. Sport, Language School, Piano, Dance, helping family or neighbours, community etc )
Please do not provide originals. A selection of these is all that is required, not all of them.
♦ ♦♦♦♦♦ ♦ ♦ ♦♦♦♦♦ ♦♦ ♦♦♦♦♦ ♦♦ ♦♦♦♦♦ ♦
Sydney Fish Market
Our Scholarship Holders were treated with a
Sydney Fish Market Complimentary Breeakfast Tour Friday 17th April.
Below photos of our 4 scholarship holders on tour were Ryan, Samiksha,
Alan & Dylan and parents
on the tour.
Dylan and his mother Alex tour guide , Dylan, Samiksha, Our 4 scholarship holders
Ryan , Alan and father to Samiksha
At the Harris Community Scholarship Fund 2015 AGM
we made a presentaion to the
Sydney Fish Market to commemorate 25years supporting Y6 studnets
from Ultimo Public School through secondary to higher education.
Below is Margaret Wood ,HCSF President presenting our commemorative plaque to
Stephaine Williams ,
SFM Corporate Social Responsibilty & External Relations Manager.
Angelina & Samiksha above presenting their talks to year 6 Studnets at Ultimo Public School so they (UPS Y6 students) can prepare for secondary school and the chance to apply for our 2014 Harriis Scholarship award. The middle photo is Diane Jones UPS Assistant Principal and Cathy Horan HCSF Secretary the right hand photo Diane , Margaret, Samiksha & Angelina
Below Angelina ,Samiksha receiving books and cards from Diane & Cathy
April 2014 Officeworks Glebe Store donated a HP Printer to the Scholarship Fund Raj the
Store Manager receiving the HCSF certificate of appreciation
Launch of the Harris Community Scholarship Fund Web Site
Launch of the website
It's Friday 14 September and here at Ultimo Public School we are waiting for the Harris Community Scholarship Fund (HCSF) website to 'go live'. We have acknowledged the Cadigal people, whose land we are on tonight. We are in the school library staring at the large smart board screen whilst Brett from BREAKOUT Media Communications launches the site into the world wide web. It's Brett's birthday so he is also celebrating the look and feel of the site which his group framed around the words of Margaret Wood.
Nic Accaria, the Principal of Ultimo Public School is here along with scholarship holders, their families and members of the HCSF Committee with President Margaret Wood who initiated the Scholarship to celebrate the Bi-Centenary 22 years ago. She also had the vision to get this website active for scholarship holders and to link up with local community groups, building networks and opportunities to participate in the life of the Scholarship ethos-investing in the future of young talented community minded achievers.
The site is now up and alive with a link to Facebook making it easy to keep in touch. The City of Sydney provided a Community Grant for developing the HCSF website and we are proud to be part of a city that supports young people and their communities.
The photos on this page are from the launch event which was a huge success. It was nice to see some of the scholarship holders participating.
Thank you to everyone who attended and assisted.